Monday 3 February 2014

Romantic Rose Letter by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Romantic Rose Letter by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 3 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, 3 hair accessories, 2 pairs of socks, tights and a necklace.


This is the OP. The bodice is a good shape, although the material looks slightly loose in places. The sleeves are an interesting shape. They flare outwards a lot and it is very OTT, but the style really seems to suit the overall style of the dress. The flared part of the sleeves is topped with layered lace. The lace is pretty and is layered well. The sleeves are finished with a pretty bow, which is a nice finishing touch. The waist bow is a bit too big for my liking and I would have liked it be smaller. The bow shape and style is quite simple, which is quite a contrast to the OTT style of the rest of the dress. I don't think I would have bothered with the waist bow at all. 


The bodice is covered with lots of frilly lace all over the place. It looks a bit messy in my opinion. I appreciate this is an OTT style dress, but I think less of this lace would be an improvement. Also, the lace seems to be going in all sorts of different ways with no real sense of direction. Something else I dislike is the different materials used for the bows. The waist bow and choker are made of crepe de chine, but the 3 bodice bows are made of shiny ribbon. The difference in texture and shine is quite obvious to me. I think it would have been better to have all the bows made out of the same material, preferably the crepe de chine because that is less shiny. The ribbon bows are an okay size but I would have liked them slightly smaller. Although in some photos the bows appear to be positioned well, in other photos I think the middle ribbon bow could do with being placed slightly higher so they are more evenly spaced. The choker matches up very well with the dress, although I have never been a fan of them. It looks very stiff and uncomfortable. You can wear the dress without the choker though, so I would probably do that and just use the neck ties.

The back has a wide panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The ribbon is quite thin and doesn't hide very much, but at least the sizing on this dress is quite flexible. The stock photos show the skirt is very full and rounded, with lots of volume. There is the potential to get a very OTT shape to match the OTT dress details. The skirt has a lacy overlay, which attaches at the waist and can be removed. I think the overlay is beautiful. It is soft looking and doesn't distract attention too much away from the border print. The lacy material is floral themed, although it is a shame it wasn't rose themed to go with the print. The back of the skirt has a lacy bustle. The tiers are spaced out well and layered beautifully. The skirt is tiered, with the join concealed beautifully with tulle. The tulle is topped with bows which are pretty, but I don't think are really needed. The bottom hem is then finished off with beautiful lace.



This is the JSK. The bodice is an interesting shape. It looks well fitted, but there is some baggy material in a few of the photos. The straps are a bit thin and flimsy looking, but it suits the style of dress. The straps are decorated with gathered lace, which matches the main colour of the dress. It looks very fluffy and feminine. The neckline also has detachable white lace, and I think this part is beautiful. I love the way the white lace sits on the shoulders and it is also layered well. The white lace is finished with a simple bow in the middle. Although it is detachable, I think the dress looks a lot prettier with it attached. The waist bow is a bit on the big side and I think could do with being a tiny bit smaller. The bow design is simple, but works well with the dress. It sits well on the dress. The bodice has a criss-crossed ribbon design. The ribbon is spaced out well and doesn't look too bunched up. The bodice is finished with good quality lace, which helps to keep things neat. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt flares out beautifully and has plenty of volume. It has a lovely full bell shape to it. The skirt is fairly simple, so the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is then finished off with the same pretty rose themed lace.


This is the Tiered JSK. The bodice looks reasonably well fitted. The bodice shape is quite simple though. The straps are a reasonable width. They are lined well with pretty lace on both the inside and the outside, which stops them looking too plain. I am not really a fan of the scoop neckline. It is the perfect excuse to show off a blouse with a detailed chest, but the neckline may sit awkwardly on some wearers. The waist bow is a bit too big and I would like it to be smaller. The shape of the bow is good though, and the thin lace makes the edges more interesting. It sits well on the dress too. The bodice is decorated with subtle lace. This is probably the best dress for those who are not a fan of OTT. The bodice also has some gold rose shaped buttons down the middle. The buttons are pretty and are spaced out well. However, I think maybe I would have chosen another colour, as there is no gold anywhere else on the dress, so it stands out a fair bit. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The skirt has loads of volume. It flares out well and has a lovely full bell shape. The two tiers of the skirt are joined well and it doesn't upset the silhouette too much. The skirt is otherwise kept simple, so the print is displayed reasonably well. The bottom hem is then finished off with the same pretty rose themed lace.



And here we can see the print close up. As the picture shows, this series is available in pink,sax blue, mint and lavender. All 4 colours look amazing with the print. I like the combination of pastel colours combined with the roses. The roses in the print are drawn beautifully, with plenty of highlights and shadowing, giving them plenty of depth. The letters are placed well among the roses. I especially like the envelope with the arrow. The lacy and floral background is very classy looking. The background is beautiful, but your eyes are still drawn to the border, which I think works well.


I really love the barrette that is part of this series. To be honest, it does remind me of similar hair accessories I have seen on Taobao, but this AP attempt is very pretty. I like how the ribbon and roses are placed and the pearl chain adds a further touch of interest. I would be tempted to use this hair accessory in other ways, like as a corsage for example.

So overall, I am highly impressed with this series. The OP is maybe a bit too OTT for my personal tastes but I still think all 3 dresses are pretty. Would I buy from this series? Yes I would. I like this slightly more mature looking AP, which still sticks to their sweet roots. The print is gorgeous. I would go for the regular JSK in lavender, although I think I would settle for any of the colours. A very strong release!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...