Thursday 30 May 2013

Mermaid Jewellery Box by Alice and the Pirates

Today I will be taking a look at a recent series from AatP called Mermaid Jewellery Box. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a blouse, 3 hair accessories and 2 pairs of socks (2 different lengths).


This is the OP. The bodice looks like it is well fitted and I like the shape of the neckline. The sleeves look a bit slouchy though. I think puffier sleeves would be too sweet for a print like this but I definitely think the sleeves could have been done nicer. The lace used on the sleeves is pretty but I think it is a bit too wide. The bodice has been kept very simple, although that is not necessarily a bad thing. The neckline has been finished with a line of ribbon and some thin lace. It is a nice finishing touch without being too distracting. The ribbon used has a slight shine to it, but isn't too bad. In the middle there is also a ribbon bow which is a suitable size and has a good shape to it. The back doesn't have any shirring and so is kept plain, with just a zip. It is a shame that in the stock photos the print doesn't appear to line up properly along the zip. It makes this area look very wonky. I like how rounded and full the skirt is. It flares out nicely and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt is kept free of cluttering details, so the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of ribbon and some thin lace. This is a nice touch, as it matches the neckline well.


And here we have the JSK. The bodice looks reasonably well fitted and an okay shape. The straps are a decent width, without looking too bulky. The outside edge of the straps are lined with thin lace too which is a good finishing touch and softens the edge nicely. I think the waist bow is too big for this dress though. The shape is pretty and it doesn't look like it would droop too much, but it is just too big for my liking. Thankfully, it is detachable. Underneath the bow the waist has a simple line of ribbon, which I think is an improvement on the bulky bow. The neckline is lined with ribbon and lace like the other dress, only this time the lace is on the outside. The lace used is wider and less subtle than the other dress. I do like this lace because I think it has a slightly 'frothy' appearance to it and it goes well with the mermaid themed print. The base of the straps have ribbon bows. They are shaped well. I think the size is okay but I reckon it would look even better if they were a tiny bit smaller. The back is fully shirred and so the shirring is not concealed. It looks very messy and exposed. The skirt shape is very pretty. It is nicely rounded and flares out well. The print is again displayed well because there are no details cluttering it up. The bottom hem is then finished off with some very pretty lace.


Finally, this is part of the print close up. This print comes in ivory, sax blue and black. It's a shame they decided to only do 3 colours (a navy version could definitely work well). I am not entirely convinced by the ivory colour but the other 2 work wonderfully with the print. As for the print itself, I think it is very pretty. I love all the drawings in the circles. My favourite is the 2 mermaids picture, as I love the way their hair is flowing wildly in the water. All of the drawings are done beautifully. The circles are framed nicely with the swirly lines and I like the inclusion of sea shells and crowns. The circles are joined together by beautifully drawn jewellery. Overall, I think this is a wonderful print.

So I think this is a lovely small series. I think the print is lovely. It seems that AatP are trying to recapture the success of Melty Mermaid Princess and I actually prefer this new series. Would I buy this series? I probably would. I would choose the JSK in sax blue, or possibly the skirt. I hope that this series does well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...