Thursday 18 July 2013

Wicked Queen's Poison Cellar by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am looking at recent AatP release Wicked Queen's Poison Cellar. This series includes two printed dresses, one long non-printed dress (with matching headdress), a skirt, a blouse, a head bow, a bonnet, tights, wrist cuffs, jewellery, a few boy's style pieces, a lace shawl and a bolero. Phew! That's a lot of items!


This is JSK I. The bodice looks fairly well fitted. The bodice shape is okay but maybe a bit simple. I think the straps are a bit too thin but I suppose they do match well with the ribbon. They do look a bit flimsy though. The waist is nipped in well by the ribbon belt. The ribbon looks to be of a good quality and not too shiny. I think a more solid coloured ribbon would have been nice here though, as it would match up better with the ribbon used elsewhere on the dress. In the picture above for example, the waist ribbon looks a bit washed out compared to the ribbon used on the neckline. The bodice is mainly kept simple. It suits the classic style but I actually think it is a bit too plain. The ruffle along the neckline is a nice touch though, and at least adds a bit of interest. The ruffle is topped with ribbon and finished with a bow in the centre. The bow is kept small and sits nicely on the dress. It adds a slight touch of cute, but it is the right level of cute and doesn't look out of place with the classic print. The back has a small panel of shirring, which is concealed neatly by a ribbon corset. The shirring panel looks quite narrow, so I wonder if that will affect how flexible the sizing is. Also, the ruffle on the neckline ends quite abruptly when it reaches the shirring panel at the back, which I don't think looks too bad but could have been done nicer. The skirt is quite rounded and it flares out a fair deal. I probably wouldn't use the petticoat BABY have used in the stock photos as it looks a bit too rounded, but I'm sure that you could get a decent shape with this dress. The skirt is kept clutter free and the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished off with some pretty lace and then a tulle ruffle underneath. 


This is JSK II. The bodice looks very well fitted and the shape is interesting. I especially like the neckline and I think that overall the shape is quite mature and smart. The straps are a good width and fit the design well. I like the use of solid colour for the bodice too and think it works well teamed with the printed skirt. The waist bow is a nice shape but possibly a bit on the big side. I also think the waist bow maybe looks a bit too cute style-wise but at least it blends in fairly well. There is a row of buttons sitting atop of some lace and a ruffle. The ruffle is pretty but I would have maybe used black lace so it blended in a bit better. The buttons are pretty and are spaced out well. The lace used on the bodice and along the neckline is pretty, although the lace on the neckline doesn't seem to sit very well, especially when it nears the ruffle in the middle. The back has a panel of shirring. It is concealed tidily by a ribbon corset although due to it all being the same colour, it blends in quite well anyway. The skirt again has a very rounded shape, although I think it suits this second dress better. It looks very plump and full and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt is once again free of cluttering details and the print is displayed brilliantly. The bottom hem is then finished off with pretty lace.


And here we have part of the print close up. This print is available in ivory, red, green and black. Although all four colours are lovely, I feel the deeper colours work better than the ivory version. I just feel this print works the best with a darker background as it gives it more depth. I would probably pick the red as my favourite colour overall. We have seen a few library prints recently from brands such as Juliette et Justine and Innocent World, but I actually think this AatP one may be my favourite offering. I think that is because there is more to it than being just a simple book shelf print. There is stuff going on in the foreground and more interesting objects to see. I love all of the chemistry themed bits tucked away in the bookshelves and the apples are drawn beautifully. I love how Snow White is included in the print in a subtle way by having her appear on one of the apples. The books in the foreground are so detailed and drawn well. It feels like every time I look at this print there is something new to discover.


Shawls don't seem to be released that often in lolita but I think they can add a very elegant touch to an outfit. The design of this one is simple, yet beautiful. I especially love the rose clasp. Shawls may not be as easy to wear as a bolero or cardigan but I think they are worth a try!

I think this series is very interesting. We may have seen Snow White and library themed prints before but who knew the two themes could work so well when combined together? The resulting print is beautiful. Would I buy this series? Yes, I probably would. I know I would definitely go for JSK II in red. This is a wonderful series and I think it deserves to do well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...