Thursday 6 December 2012

AP's Marshmallow Bunny

 Today I will be taking a look at Marshmallow Bunny by Angelic Pretty. This series is already out. The series includes 3 dresses, a salopette, a skirt, socks, a head bow, a bunny ear headdress and accessories.


This is the OP. The bodice is a nice shape. It is not that well fitted but I suppose that is due to how flexible the sizing is on the OP. It may look a bit too baggy on smaller wearers. The waist ties on this dress have pom poms on the end of them, which is a nice touch. It fits in very well with the rabbit theme. They may get a bit squished if you sit down a lot though! The sleeves are very cute and I think they have the right amount of puff to them. The neck ties add a bit of interest and look smart. I think the waist bow is the correct sort of size for this dress. It has a nice solid shape to it too and it doesn't droop. However, I am not really sure the waist bow is needed, what with the other bows down the bodice. I think the ones on the bodice are enough and the dress would look fine without the waist one.


I didn't realise just how detailed the bodice bow ribbons were until I saw this close-up picture. The bows are a decent size and are spaced out quite well. I do like the effort that has gone in to the bows. AP have used polka dot ribbon and also topped the bows with some heart shaped lace. It makes things a bit more interesting. I think it is very cute. The lace around the neckline is a good choice. It makes the neckline look softer but it is not too distracting. The folds in the fabric add a bit of interest and stop the material looking too flat and plain. I am not too fussed by the semi-circle lace. What I like about the bodice is that despite it being quite heavily detailed, your eyes are still drawn to the bows. Overall, I think it works quite well.

The back has a panel of shirring which runs the whole way across. It is very open and exposed so it doesn't look that pretty, but it does give the dress a more flexible size range. The skirt has that typical full AP shape to it. I love how rounded and plump it looks. It flares out well and will hold a lot of petticoat. The skirt is kept clutter-free and so, the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished off with some cute polka dot lace. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't some special bunny themed lace here, as AP usually comes out with some very elaborate lace, but I guess the polka dot lace is still nice.


This is the Ribbon JSK. The bodice is a good shape and it looks like it is well fitted too. In some ways, this JSK is very similar to the OP. It has the exact same colourful ribbon bows on the front and it also has the semi-circle lace running up the sides of the bodice. The waist bow is quite a bit smaller on this JSK, but I still don't think it is that necessary. The ribbon bows are enough by themselves. On this JSK there is a line of wide lace running behind the ribbon bows, which is only really stands out if you get the black colour. I don't particularly like this detail and I don't think it adds anything to the dress by being there. The neckline has a line of ladder lace with ribbon threaded through it, which looks pretty. The straps are a bit thin in width, but I think the width suits the style of dress. The straps have 2 tiny bows at the bottom, which makes it look neater. However, these 2 additional bows brings the bow count on the bodice up to 6. I think that having 6 bows, which are all in close proximity to each other, is probably a bit too OTT. However, it does look very cute and I suppose the 2 strap bows are quite small. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed very well by a ribbon corset. The shirring panel is quite narrow though, and it doesn't look like it is going to be very forgiving size-wise. This JSK also has the same waist ties with the pom poms on the end. The skirt again has a very full and rounded shape to it. It is not as rounded as the skirt on the OP, but it is still very pretty. It flares out well and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. The skirt is kept free of distracting details and so, the print is displayed well. The bottom hem is finished off with the same polka dot lace which is cute, but I still think it is a bit dull considering this is AP.


This is the collar JSK. The bodice material looked a bit loose in some of the stock photos and I think the shape of the bodice is a bit boring too. The waist has a line of ribbon around the waist with a tiny little bow in the front centre. This detail is not that noticeable and blends in a lot (unless you get this in black). It is not really that interesting, but I think the main point of this is to make the waist area neat and tidy. It just gives a smarter appearance. The bodice is very dull, mainly because all of the focus is on the collar. The bodice has a pleated section in the middle and 2 lines of lace running up the sides, which then continue on up the straps. But that aside, there is nothing there. And so, the entire focus of this dress (and I think the only real selling point of this particular JSK) is on the soft furry collar. The collar is adorable. It is a nice shape and I like how the ends of the ribbon ties have the pom poms. I do think the idea is a bit conflicting though, as this is quite an Easter sort of print and you probably wouldn't want to be wearing a fur collar around that time of year. The collar is detachable, but the dress is so boring and plain without it, that I don't think I would want to detach it. The back doesn't have any shirring. It has the same waist ties with pom poms on the end if you need to make it smaller. Otherwise, the size of this dress is not that flexible. The skirt doesn't look as flared or as rounded when compared to the other 2 dresses. It still looks nice, just not as good. But it will still hold a lot of petticoat underneath. The skirt is free from details and the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished off with some good quality, but plain looking lace. I think that the polka dot lace on the bottom of the other 2 dresses would have been an improvement here.



 This is what the print looks like. I couldn't get a decent picture, so I had to use the animated banner! The print comes in ivory, pink, sax blue and black. I personally would avoid the ivory as the bunnies in the print really blend in too much. I think the white bunnies look a lot better when they have a bit of colour to stand out against. I am not too keen on the green colour used in the print as it reminds me of mould! But apart from that, all the pastel colours work well together. This print is all about those cute bunnies, which I think have been drawn well. Although the bunny design is very repetitive with not much variation, I think it works well and it is a cute print. At least the bunnies have different eye colours and different bows. The bird is very cute, even if it does look mouldy in colour! There is not much else to say about this print. The bows are very cute and the polka dot background is nice.


This is the brooch from the series. It looks like it would be simple to make, but I have fallen for its charms anyway! I think it is simply adorable. It looks so soft and fluffy and I love the pearl chain and bow with its little gold charm. The design is simple enough that you could use it with other sweet prints as well. The international site hasn't got this brooch in yet though and we may not even get it, which is a shame because I would definitely buy one.

So I do think that this is quite a cute series. I wouldn't say it was Angelic Pretty's best work and I wouldn't go out of my way to own it. But it is still very sweet for what it is. If I did have to pick a dress I would go for the Ribbon JSK in either pink or sax. I do know that there are rabbit fans out there who are going to love this series, but I can't see it being a huge hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...