Monday 25 September 2017

Holiday Collection by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Holiday Collection by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, 3 hair accessories, a blouse and socks.




First is the OP. Considering the fabric choice, the bodice looks quite shapely and well fitted. The arms have a suitable level of puffiness to them and I really like the fitted cuffs. The cuffs are neatly decorated with emblem themed buttons, braid and some crown themed lace. Although I personally think the lace is too wide, I do appreciate how wonderful the crown lace looks. It is so apt for the overall theme as well. There is a ribbon belt, which helps to define the waist a little bit. I like that the ribbon chosen is matte, but if I am being honest the ribbon looks like bog-standard ribbon you would find in any craft store. For a brand release, the belt just doesn't feel that special. The bodice has a large square shaped yoke. I think this looks a little flat and boring. Some pleats could have been nice here. I do like the braid and lace lining the edge though, as it keeps it looking smart. There is also 2 small star charms with a chain dangling between them. I really dislike this detail and I don't think it is necessary at all. It doesn't really add anything to the design and it gets a bit 'lost' with all the other bodice details going on around it. There is also a ribbon bow topping the yoke. I like that the AP ribbon matches the brand name at the bottom of the print. The bow shape is simple, but well constructed and a decent size. The only thing I dislike about this bow is the teddy charm in the middle. I find it a bit too 'cutesy' looking. This bow id detachable, but I feel the dress looks far too plain with it removed, so I would leave it on. The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is very limited. I am impressed with how well the print has been lined up along the zip line in the stock photos though. Fingers crossed it is this well executed on every dress. The stock photos show that the skirt has a decent amount of volume and it flares outwards plenty. I think there is a lot of potential to create a fantastic shape. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of the crown themed lace.




Next we have the JSK. The bodice material is a bit loose and baggy and I am not completely sold on the bodice shape either. I think the neckline shape could have been a bit softer and that overall, the bodice looks too 'square' in shape. The straps are a little on the thin side, but the style of the straps fits well with the rest of the dress. They are lined with the crown lace on the outsides. I like how this lace has been gathered and shaped, making it look a bit more interesting. This dress also has a ribbon belt and my feelings about it are exactly the same as the belt on the OP. The bodice features lines of metallic lace running vertically upwards. This helps to break up the empty space without looking too OTT. The neckline features a 'collar' which has an unusual shape. I quite like it though! The shape is further emphasized by the neat lines of braid and lace lining it. The neckline is then topped off with a bow identical to the one on the OP. I know there is a teddy bear in the print, but I still dislike that charm on the bow. This bow is again detachable but I would leave it attached. Out of the 2 dress designs though, I think the JSK pulls off the bow-less look better than the OP. The back is fully shirred, which means loads of size flexibility but also that the shirring is left exposed. However, because of the style of print, the shirring sort of blends in a bit and isn't as noticeable. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full and flares outwards wonderfully. It should hold plenty of petticoat to create a full, sweet shape. The skirt is again kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of the crown lace.




Finally, this is the print. This series comes in ivory, red, green and grey. I think the ivory, red and green colours look very traditional. The grey is a bit more unusual and I am a bit unsure about it. I do wonder if black would have been better, as black would have been bolder (or at least easier to co-ordinate). As for the print itself, I really like how you could get away with wearing this for a Christmas themed outfit, but it is not specifically a Christmas print. Tartan is very popular around Christmas time but with the exception of the pile of presents, the print is generic enough to be worn outside of the holiday period. I really love the tartan and I think the frames are well set out and decently positioned. The frames themselves are very intricate with fun designs. The items inside the frames have been drawn well. I don't really have anything negative to say about the print at all. I think it has been really well executed.

So this series has proven that the old days of the AP bloodbath are not gone forever (this series sold out a lot quicker in comparison to a lot of other recent AP releases) and I can see why this particular print has done so well. Although I would change a couple of things about the dress designs, these changes are only minor and overall the dress designs are very strong. Would I buy this series? Possibly. I wont be adding this to my wishlist but that is not to say that I wouldn't consider it if the price was right. My top choice would be the JSK in green. I think the fact that I would even be considering getting a series with a strong hint of Christmas is a sign that I think AP have done very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...