Monday 29 May 2017

Phantom Gate by Metamorphose

Today I am looking at Phantom Gate by Metamorphose. This series includes 2 dresses (the shirred JSK comes in 2 lengths), 2 hair accessories, a lace clip, socks, a choker, a ring and an ear hook.




First is the A-Line Dress. There isn't really much of a bodice to this sack-like dress. I feel the sleeves need to be shorter in length, as they look a bit frumpy and shapeless here. These sleeves are elasticated. Although I think some will appreciate the extra stretch, I think some lace could have livened up the sleeves. The bodice features a solid coloured square yoke. This yoke is topped with ruffles, which gives the yoke a lovely bit of added texture. It stops the yoke looking flat and boring. The yoke is lined with a thin line of gold lace, which makes the edge look smart. There is also a ribbon bow attached to the bottom of the yoke. This bow looks a suitable size and the shape is pretty. It seems to sit well on the dress as well, although I wonder how this bow will sit on a wearer with a large bust. The ribbon used is a bit shiny, but it has a gorgeous golden pattern on it. The collar features a pearl chain dangling from it, with a further key shaped charm. I love the key charm, but I think it is a shame that the pearls sort of blend in to the white background. It is a lovely detail, but it doesn't stand out much. However, I do like the way the collar had been lined with gold lace. It stops the area looking too plain and also takes advantage of the gold accents in the print. The back offers no shirring, so there is limited size flexibility. I think the zip line has been decently concealed though. It blends in with the print. The stock photos show that the dress skirt has a fair amount of volume and it flares outwards okay. I never quite know what to make of these sack-like dresses, but at least it looks like this dress has enough volume to experiment with petticoats. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of gold lace. My only criticism here is the colour of the gold lace here doesn't look as yellow as the gold used on the rest of the dress.




Here we have the Shirred Dress, which comes in 2 lengths. The bodice seems well fitted and the overall bodice shape looks really pretty. I am really impressed with the neckline shape. The straps look a suitable width and supportive. There is a waist bow, which has an interesting shape. This shape is emphasised by the gold lace lining it. I think the bow is a bit big, but it still suits the dress. This bow is detachable, which makes the dress more versatile if you are unsure about the waist bow. The bodice has a pleated triangle panel. I like the flattering look of this triangle. The pleats give that nice bit of extra depth and texture. It is worth mentioning that this triangle, the straps and the neckline are all lined with the same thin gold lace. It is very consistent and also looks stunning. There is also a pair of bows at the bases of the straps, which has a double pearl chain and key charm dangling from them. I like the chain (although again, the details are a bit lost on a white background) but I am not a fan of the bows. I guess I find them a bit too sweet looking for the overall feel of the series? The bows and chains are detachable, but I don't believe you can detach just the bows or chain separately. This is a shame, as I wouldn't mind being able to remove the bows, but leaving the chain! The back is fully shirred, which means a lot of size flexibility, but also that the unattractive shirring is very exposed. I really wish this dress was quarter shirred with a ribbon corset topping it instead. I feel the lumpy shirring doesn't quite fit in with the elegant feel the rest of the dress seems to have. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full and it flares outwards plenty. I usually find Meta's mini length is just above knee-length on me (I am about 5'4'') and the medium length is a good option if you are a bit taller than me. It is nice to have different length options. The skirt is kept simple in design again, so the print is displayed wonderfully. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a thin line of gold lace and a solid coloured ruffle.




Finally, this is a little bit of the print to show what it looks like. This series only comes in off-white and black. Although both colours look amazing, it really would have been great to have more colour options. A navy blue could have looked great, or perhaps a dusty lavender? As for the print itself, I really love the intricate gates. They are very ornate with loads of details, all in gold. It is very bold and striking. The phantom horse and cart adds a slight touch of gothic horror without looking too OTT. You could probably wear this print in a classic or a gothic outfit with the right styling. The Meta logo and gold swirls match the gates in the print and are a suitable way to separate the border print from the rest of the dress. 

So I feel that this series has a lot of potential, but some parts of the series are stronger than others. It would have been nice to have more than 2 dress cuts and also more than 2 colour options. I also don't feel this print is the right sort of print for the A-Line sack style dress. The JSK design is a lot more fitting. Would I buy this series? It wont be going on my wishlist, but I think it is a pretty decent offering. My choice would be the Shirred JSK in black (probably the mini length). It is not that original looking, but it is a decent design. I am not surprised to see that the black colourway appears to be completely sold out online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...