Monday 14 September 2015

Wonder Gallery by Angelic Pretty

I would like to say a quick thank you for valentines 10 and 36! http://loli-valentines.livejournal.com/207575.html

Today I shall be taking a look at Wonder Gallery by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 3 dresses, an apron skirt, 2 hair accessories, a bag and tights.




First up is the Dress OP. The bodice seems well fitted and the shape is pretty. It could have looked a bit frumpy, but I think this dress just about gets away with it. I like the length of the sleeves and the bell part of the sleeve has a good amount of flare to it, without pushing it too far. The lace used for the bell sleeves is pretty and of a good quality. It has been layered really well. I also like that all the colour ways (except the black) use ivory lace instead of stark white. There is a large waist bow. The bow has a great shape to it and it is lined perfectly with gold lace. It is well formed and sits well on the dress. However, with all the other details on the dress I am a little unsure the waist bow is really needed. The bodice features a ribbon corset. The ribbon is well spaced out and only has a slight sheen to it. I like that the edges of the ribbon are lined with lace, as it keeps it looking neat. However, I don't like that the ribbon is held in place by the lace, as this kind of detail can be a bit fragile and get damaged if proper care isn't taken. The bodice also features lines of gold braid and lace, which helps to break up the remaining empty space. I like the gold braid, but I think the lace is a bit too wide and sticks out at an odd angle. The top of the bodice is a lace yoke. The lace looks to be of a reasonable quality and all the lines of lace surrounding the yoke are done neatly. I do wonder if the lace collar is maybe going to feel a bit itchy, but I love how it has been gathered. I am a bit unsure of the band of printed fabric on the collar. I think the bow topping this line of fabric is far too shiny and the shape looks too cutesy. But even though this bow is detachable, I don't really like how this strip of colour looks without the bow attached! The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is a bit limited. The zip line is very well concealed though, and the print lines up against the zip line easily. The lines of gold braid and lace that appear on the front of the bodice are repeated on the back of the bodice too, which is good continuity. The stock photos show that the skirt has loads of volume. You could put a load of petticoat underneath this dress and create a really OTT shape if you desired. It flares outwards generously as well. The skirt design is kept quite clutter free, so the print is displayed excellently. The only detail here is the line of lace and ribbon bows, but it sits well at the top of the print and is not too distracting. The bottom hem is then finished off with a line of really cute tea cup shaped lace, with a ruffle of chiffon neatly layered underneath. I like how the chiffon underneath really makes the lace stand out.




Next today is the OP. The bodice seems quite well fitted and the shape is lovely. I especially love the neckline, and the layers of lace along the neckline compliment it so well. The sleeves are a cute length and I feel they have just the right amount of volume and puff to them for this length. The sleeves are finished off very neatly with some very pretty lace. I feel the lace really livens the sleeves up. The sleeves are then topped off with some shiny bows, but they don't really stand out that much and I feel this is a very minor complaint. There is a waist bow, which I feel is a bit too large. The shape is beautiful though, and it is well formed. It sits well on the dress. I like the gold lace lining the edges of the bow, but the gold braid decorating the bow is a bit too much. I also think it could have been nice if the waist bow was detachable, so there was at least the option to detach it. The bodice is broken up by some thin lines of gold lace, which gives the bodice a lovely paneled appearance. What I really love about the bodice though, is the swirls of gold braid and the small gold beads. This detail has been so neatly and it gives the bodice a really luxurious look. It adds a touch of class without looking overdone. The lace on the neckline is topped with a thin ribbon bow. I like that the ribbon has been kept thin and doesn't look too bulky. However, the ribbon is once again a bit shiny. The charm dangling from the bow is cute though. The back has no shirring, so again the sizing is a bit limited. The zip line is well concealed  and the thin lines of gold lace makes the back look a bit less plain. The stock photos show that the skirt has lots of volume and it flares outwards well. I love the rounded shape. The skirt is simple in design and so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off in the same neat way as the other OP.




Here we have the JSK. The bodice looks quite well fitted and the shape is very interesting. The neckline is especially pretty with an unusual shape. The straps are a suitable width and look quite supportive. I was a little unsure I liked the way the straps attached to the dress at first, but the design has grown on me. The straps are lined with lace on the outsides which has been gathered really well and creates a very fluffy shape. I feel the choice of lace used here looks a bit dull though. In my opinion the waist bow looks too big and bulky. The shape is lovely, but it stands out too much. I also feel the gold braid on the waist bow is too OTT. Judging by the dress listing, it doesn't seem like this waist bow is detachable, which is a shame. The bodice details are very similar to the details on the OP. The swirls of gold braid are done very neatly and I think it looks quite striking teamed with the shape of the neckline. The neckline is then finished off with a thin ruffle, which softens the neckline but not so much that you lose the shape of the neckline. The back of the dress has a panel of shirring, which has been topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt seems to have plenty of volume and will hold lots of petticoat. The shape of the skirt compliments the bodice as well. The skirt is once again kept free of clutter and the print is displayed clearly. The bottom hem is then finished off with a very thin line of lace and a chiffon ruffle underneath. The lace keeps things tidy and the ruffle gives it a soft finish.




And finally, here we can see little bits of the print close ups. This series comes in pink, sax blue, wine and black. The pink and sax blue are lovely and are perfect choices for an Alice themed print. I want to like the wine version, but the beige tones on the wine version look a bit too dull and they need to be a bit more vibrant. I feel a bit indifferent towards the black version. It looks okay, but it wouldn't be my top choice. As for the print itself, I like the different bits of the print, but I feel that when they are put together it is a bit overwhelming. The lampshades are drawn well and I like how each shade has a different pattern on it, but I really dislike them paired with the frames. I feel that the lampshades need to be a lot smaller in size. The frames however, are well drawn and I like the detail with all the swirls on the frames. The crowns on top of some of the frames and the decorations floating around the frames are pretty too. I like the pictures inside the frames and I feel they represent the common themes associated with Alice in Wonderland without overdoing it. The background has a very busy pattern to it, but the muted colours stop it being too dominating. I can't quite decide if I like the stripes at the bottom of the print or not.

So overall, I think this series is interesting but I am not amazed by it. I feel there is too much going on in the print. The dress designs are quite interesting though and I like that there are dressier and simpler options. Would I buy this series? Probably not. I think I would pick the JSK in sax blue if I had to pick something. I am more interested by the perfume bottle shaped bag released with this series to be honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...