Monday 14 April 2014

AatP Print Double!

Today I am taking a look at 2 recent print releases from Alice and the Pirates. Scroll down to see what I think of Last Note Faint Spring Song.

But first up I am taking a look at La Traviata. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, 2 hair accessories and a necklace. There are also further solid coloured items as part of this series, including 2 dresses, a blouse, a petticoat, socks, wrist cuffs, gloves, a choker and a headband.


This is JSK I. The bodice looks well fitted and the shape is simple, but pretty. The straps are a bit on the thin side and are a bit plain looking. They don't look very supportive.


Here we can see a close up of the bodice and all that lace. I love the use of wide lace along the waist line. The lace used is of a very good quality and it is pretty looking. It sits well on the dress too. There is 2 ribbon corsets on either side of the bodice. The ribbon used is very pretty and it is spaced out well. The ribbon corsets are lined with lace, which helps conceal the edges and gives a tidier appearance. I also think the ribbon corsets are interestingly placed, with their slight curve. I like how they come closer together nearer the waist area. The one thing I am not keen on is the large rose shaped lace. For some reason, I just feel the dress doesn't need it, especially the line right down the centre of the bodice. The rose lace is not so bad on the neckline bow, but the bit down the middle just seems a bit too OTT. As for the bow, I think it is really beautifully shaped. I love the way the tails of the bows are folded in such a decorative way. I do think the lace along the neckline spoils it a little though. The lace just doesn't seem to match up with the dress as well as the other styles of lace.

The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed well by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt has the potential to flare out wide. It looks very plump and full. I love the rounded bell shape. The skirt is kept quite simple, so the print is displayed beautifully. However, I feel in this case the skirt could do with a bit of livening up. It looks a bit plain in comparison to the bodice. An OTT dress could have worked reasonably well with the print. Maybe the bottom hem could have been more detailed? The lace used on the bottom hem is very pretty, but it seems a little simple in comparison to the rest of the dress. On the product page, Baby has a photo of this dress worn with an underskirt, which I think looks a lot more interesting.


This is JSK II. The bodice shape is cute, although the material looks quite baggy in some of the photos. The straps are a decent width and are covered with layered lace. The lace used is of a good quality and it has been layered well. It gives a fluffy feminine appearance. There is a waist bow, which is a bit on the large side. The shape is cute though, and it sits well on the dress. The front has a ruffle of lace, which is topped with 2 bows and a line of pearls. The bows are very cute looking, although I wish they were slightly smaller. The lace used is pretty and matches with the lace on the straps. However, I really dislike the line of pearls as the line is very wonky looking. It makes it look very messy and gives the illusion of being cluttered. The top part of the bodice is gathered and either end of this panel has a line of ribbon. Hopefully the line of ribbon going across the chest area wont be too tight or sit awkwardly on the wearer. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed very neatly by a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt has plenty of volume and flares out brilliantly. It will accommodate plenty of petticoat and has a lovely full bell shape to it. The skirt is kept simple and the print is displayed brilliantly. The bottom is finished off with a line of ribbon, topped with small bows. This adds a bit of interest without being too distracting. The bottom hem is then finished off with a ruffle.


And here we can see part of the print close up. This series is available in ivory, mint, navy and black. All 4 colours work very well with the print, but I think the sax blue is my favourite. The light blue looks great combined with the gold in the print. As for the print itself, I love the golden theatre boxes and drapes, although they are quite dominating in comparison to the rest of the print. They are however, drawn very beautifully. I adore the rose borders drawn around the circular pictures. The roses are so pretty! The pictures inside the circles are also drawn well and there are lots of interesting things going on in the print. However, I am not a fan of the stars in the background of the print. I think they look a bit too cartoon-like. If they had been drawn differently then they would go much better with the classic looking print.

So overall, I think this is a reasonably interesting series. I don't think it is anything special though. The dress designs are nice enough, but I would make a few changes here and there. The print is lovely, but there may be comparisons made to Masquerade Theatre. Would I buy this series? Probably not. If I did, I would probably choose JSK II in sax blue.

Next up we have Last Note Faint Spring Song. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a pullover, 3 hair accessories, socks, a choker, hair pin and necklace.


This is JSK I. The bodice is a pretty shape. There isn't a defined waist area, but the overall silhouette is very interesting. However, in a lot of the stock photos the waist area looks wonky. Here is hoping it is just Baby's poor photo taking! The short sleeves are puffy and I think they are very cute. The sleeves could work with or without a blouse, which gives them a bit of versatility. They are simply styled, but I really like them and they match the bottom of the dress well. They are lined with thin lace, which finished them off nicely. The wide lace used on the neckline is very pretty too. It is gathered slightly and it sits well on the dress. The bodice is lightly gathered at the top and there is a line of ribbon sitting underneath the chest area. This dress maybe wont fit well on everybody, but I think it looks quite pretty. The ribbon used is very pretty. The bow in the middle is a good small size and is a cute shape. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed very well with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show the skirt is very full. It has a lovely, strong A-line shape to it. It flares outwards beautifully. The skirt design is kept fairly simple and the print is brilliantly displayed. The bottom hem is then finished off with an over-stitched ruffle. I am not usually a fan of over-stitching but it doesn't look too bad here and it is not enough to put me off the dress overall. The ruffle is finished off with simple looking thin lace.


This is JSK II. The bodice looks fairly well fitted. However, I do think the scoop neck scoops down too low. If the scoop ended just a bit higher I would probably like it a lot more. The straps are a decent width. The straps and neckline are covered with very pretty lace. The lace is quite striking and stands out. The neckline is also finished with a line of ribbon inside some ladder lace. The ribbon meets to one side and is tied in to a bow. I think I would have preferred the bow to be in the centre though. But maybe this wouldn't be too difficult to alter. The waist area has a ribbon belt. It helps to nip in the waist area reasonably well. I also love the ribbon they used. It is very pretty, with a soft and floaty appearance. It has a dainty appearance which is a good match for the print. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed by a ribbon corset. The skirt appears to flare outwards fairly well with a decent amount of volume. It has a nice, subtle shape to it. The skirt is mainly quite simple, so the print is displayed well. I adore the bottom of this skirt. I love the multiple layers of tulle. It is layered beautifully and gives the bottom such a floaty look. The small ribbon bows top things off nicely. I think it is very pretty!


And finally, the print close up. This series comes in ivory, pink, sax blue and navy. Whilst I think the navy is pretty, it is the 3 paler colours that most interest me here. I think the paler colours give the print a very light, Spring-time feel which goes well with the print and especially with the style of the JSK I dress. I am having a hard time deciding if I like pink or sax blue the most though! As for the print itself, I really love the perfume bottles. They look beautiful and I like how AatP have made the glass look fairly realistic. The detailing is also lovely, especially the heart shaped bottle with the roses on it. I also like the lace doilies and think it is interesting the way some have been turned in to clocks. It is a bit unusual, but I think it works quite well! The pearls and gold chains help to fill in the empty spaces between the bottles, but at the same time it doesn't look too overcrowded. 

So I think that this series is very pretty! The print has a very whimsical nostalgic feel, which I feel is beautiful. The only downside I have is I like the bodice of JSK I, but prefer the skirt on JSK II! If those 2 had been teamed together somehow, I would have liked this series even more. Would I buy this series? Yes, I would. I just need to settle on a dress and a colour first! Here is hoping I can make my mind up...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...