Thursday 15 August 2013

Uninspired...

I don't know whether it is because I am suffering post-holiday blues or simply because I have not been to a meet in a while, but recently I have been having a real creative slump. With Frock On! coming up this is not exactly the best time to feel like this. I have the foundations of my outfit for the day sorted and I am working on something else too (which I am sworn to secrecy about!) but it just feels like it is lacking that 'spark' that takes it from an okay outfit to an amazing outfit. I see friends posting their outfit progress online and whilst I am happy for them, at the same time I am a little jealous that they have come up with something so incredible!

I keep pulling my outfit out of my wardrobe and just staring at it... What is missing? Why can't I get over this hurdle? No matter how much I add or take away it never looks quite right.


But I am trying not to be too disheartened. For starters, this is not the first time I have gone through this phase and I have gone on to make outfits that I am happy with. Also, I feel that I may not be alone in thinking this way. I have come up with an action plan now, so hopefully I will be able to get back my creativity the next time it decides to go missing.

Always keep a notebook nearby- I always find my wildest and most creative ideas come at the most random of times. So now I always make sure that when I have an idea, no matter how good or bad, I write it down so I can look back at it later. That way I can flick through it when I don't know what to wear and hopefully pull an idea out of it.

Look up the dress you want to wear and see what others have come up with- I am not suggesting that you should copy what other people have done but sometimes seeing how somebody else has co-ordinated a piece can help spark your own creativity. I once did this and found a photo which led to me saying "That is an interesting idea, but what if you did this instead?" and then I went and made my own outfit with my own tweaks so it was different enough to not be a copy.

Do a dress brainstorm- Take a main piece out of your wardrobe. Now try to write down all of the possible colours that would match it and don't be afraid to try new colour combinations. If the item has a print, list down all the items and themes that appear in the print. Can you think of any possible sub-themes that would compliment it?

Scrapbook anything you find that may be of use- I am always cutting things out of magazines and putting them in my dedicated lolita folder. Alternatively, try using Tumblr or Pinterest.

Make an unofficial matching accessory- One of the most recent pictures I saved for my special lolita inspiration folder was of this co-ordinate done with the Bodyline Alice Print. This print didn't have a matching bow so the person wearing it had made her own mini top hat with colours that matched the skirt. By doing this, she was able to balance out the colours in her outfit better and the hat was so good, it looked like it should have been an official item. I also love the idea of re-creating parts of prints and making your own accessories.

Try not to be too hard on yourself- Sometimes the best thing to do during an uninspired period is go for a walk, clear your head or do something else to take your mind off things. The more you try to force your creativity, the more stressed out you will get. Take a break, and come back to it later.

Well, hopefully I will find my creativity for Frock On! but if I look a bit plain then you will know why. It's just one of those things. I am not going to beat myself up about it. I will just have to come back with an amazing outfit when my creative spark is in full flow!



2 comments:

  1. While it's a shame you're lacking ideas for Frock On...I'm kinda glad that I'm not the only one! I only decided on a dress this week and have no idea how to coord it still! I'm sure you'll look great on the day though, as per usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no means alone! I decided on my dress and blouse months ago but it took me ages to come up with anything else. I think I may have come up with an idea now but we will have to see how things go... Thank you! You will probably look great yourself. I usually really like your outfits!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...