Thursday 21 March 2013

Paraiso Du Un Unicorn by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am looking at the latest print from Alice and the Pirates. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a cutsew style print dress, a blouse, a cutsew, a barrette, socks and a bag.


This is JSK I. I thought the material on the bodice was very baggy looking in places. The straps are a bit on the thin side and don't look very supportive. However, they are decorated prettily with lace on the outer edge, which gives it a softer look. The lace on the neckline is lovely, with a simple rose design. The waist bow on this dress is huge and I think it adds unnecessary bulk to the waist area. It could do with being a lot smaller. It also looks a bit droopy and hangs on the dress limply. The pearl chains are a nice finishing touch, but overall I really dislike the bow. The back has a panel of shirring which is concealed neatly with a ribbon corset. I did think the colour choice for the ribbon was a bit odd though (on this colour way the ribbon is bright pink) as they have chosen a colour that stands out. I would have liked something which blended in a bit better, like being the same colour as the lace. I think the skirt shape is a bit odd looking in some of the stock photos. It looks like it is trying to have a rounded shape but at the same time it looks a bit triangular. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat though. The bottom has a pretty line of rose shaped lace and has a cute ruffle. The bottom hem is then finished off with simple, but good quality lace.


This is JSK II. There is hardly any bodice to this dress. I detest the waist line on this dress. The shape gives the illusion that the wearer is bigger than they actually are. I also think the overall look of the bodice is too basic and simple looking. It seems to casual to me. The waist bow is pretty and the colour used compliments the dress nicely. I am not too fussed by it though. The neckline is decorated nicely with lace and 2 small bows. I think this detail is quite pretty. Again, the straps on this dress are very thin, but wide straps wouldn't suit this style of dress anyway. The back has a panel of shirring running the whole way across. Normally I wouldn't like this but due to the style of print, it sort of blends in anyway. The skirt shape is horrible. It kind of reminds me of a pregnancy smock. I can't imagine it being very flattering on some people's figures. At least the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished off with a line of lace and then two additional tulle ruffles. I think it looks quite pretty, but maybe looks a bit bulky.


And here is the print. This print is available in pink, ivory, navy and black. I think this sort of print looks best with pastel dreamy colours, so I really think the pink version is pretty. Of course, I am again a fan of the navy version as well! I don't feel the ivory version works as well with this print. It looks a bit dull. As for the print itself, I can't work out whether I like it or not. On paper, an Alice and the Pirates unicorn print sounds amazing. After all, both BABY and Metamorphose have brought out awesome unicorn prints in the past. Surely AatP can bring the same magic? Well, the unicorns in the print are very pretty. I love their wings and the roses around their necks. They look beautiful. I also like the castle and the cloudy sky. I am not really a fan of the use of green grass in the print though. And when you look at the print on the actual dress it looks very busy and cluttered. Somebody remarked that at first glance it looks like a camouflage print and I can definitely see where they are coming from. The spacing and sizing just doesn't look right to me. At first I thought I would grew to like this print but after seeing the dresses it has really put me off.


The print dress is horrible! The sleeves look too bulky and frumpy looking. The print on the top part could do with being a bit smaller so it is displayed a bit better. And what is with the random addition of a striped skirt? The top half is bad enough, but I don't understand why it has been teamed with the skirt part, which doesn't really match the print at all. It just doesn't look right to me at all. 


I find the bag from this series quite interesting. When it comes to wings on bags we are probably most used to seeing wings stuck on a backpack. What I like about this bag is that AatP have taken the wing theme and done something different with it. The result is unusual, but quite pretty. It is a bit more mature. Also, it looks like the bag size is quite generous, making it more practical and useful. I can't see it being to everybody's tastes, but I personally quite like it.

I think this series had the potential to be good, but the dress designs really let the series down. There seems to be something a bit off about the print as well. I doubt I would buy from this series but if I did I would go for the skirt over either of the dresses. The pink version is by far my favourite colour for this print. I would definitely consider the bag though. I think I will be giving this series a miss. In my opinion, Meta's Twinkle Journey is still queen of the unicorn prints!


4 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful print...then the t-shirt ruined it for me...Yea the jsk straps do look too thin

    http://curiouslyinwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way about this series! And yes, I agree with you on the Twinkle Journey ^^
    Kieli~♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twinkle Journey will forever be my favourite! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...