Thursday 10 January 2013

Jewel Ribbon by Angelic Pretty

Yes, I know this series came out weeks ago. I just never got around to discussing it! So today I will be talking about Jewel Ribbon by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a skirt, a head bow, a barrette, a few pieces of jewellery and socks.


This is the Ruched Bodice JSK. It is a bit difficult to tell how well this JSK would fit as there is a lot of shirring in the bodice. I can picture it being very stretchy indeed, but it may not be so good for smaller wearers. I am not that fond of the overall shape of the bodice as it looks a bit messy.


I think the main issue I have with the bodice is that it looks too fussy. The print is quite busy already and the bodice details are a bit too overpowering. The ruche detailing is not to my personal taste. I think I would have liked it better if just the top half of the bodice had the ruche detailing. I also think the lace running across the bodice is too fussy. The lace is so gathered and is already sitting on top of gathered material. If that wasn't enough, the lace is topped with shiny bows! When you put all this together, it looks quite OTT. The waist bow is a little on the big side. However, at least it is a nice shape and doesn't droop. The waist bow is also detachable if you don't like it. The bows sat on the lace are also detachable and I think the dress looks a bit better with them detached. It's not perfect, but I think its an improvement.

The straps appear to have a bit of stretch to them, which could be handy for size flexibility. The back has a panel of shirring. The shirring runs the whole way across the back. Usually I think the shirring looks a bit untidy when it is so open and exposed. However, with the ruched detail on the front, the shirring on the back blends in quite well! The skirt is very full with a nice shape. I think the pictures demonstrate just how well it can flare outwards. It will hold a decent amount of petticoat underneath. The skirt is kept free of cluttering details and so, the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off with some ribbon themed lace, which suits the print. It's a shame I don't like the bodice, as I do like the bottom half.


This is the Tiered JSK. The bodice looks like it is well fitted. I do think the bodice shape is a bit plain though, as it looks quite square with very straight lines. The waist bow is big, but I think it suits the dress. The bow has a cute shape and looks very perky. The lace gives the bow a softer edge and it doesn't add that much bulk to the bow. The thin lace running up and across the bodice give it a panelled appearance. Compared to the other JSK, the bodice on this dress maybe looks a bit flat and plain. So I think the lace is a nice touch to stop this bodice looking too boring. I like how the direction of the lines in the print changes on the side panels too. I think its a nice touch to have a line of ladder lace with ribbon running through it along the neckline. At the base of one of the straps, we see there are 2 ribbon bows. I think the bows are a nice size, with one being a bit smaller than the other. The ribbon used is only a little shiny and it matches the ribbons in the print very well. These bows are detachable, but I think they finish off the dress nicely. I suppose they would make a nice emergency hair accessory if needed though. The straps are a decent width. The outer strap edges are lined with lace, which softens the edges nicely. The back has a panel of shirring running the whole way across, so it is open and exposed. But again, it does blend in quite well because of the style of print. And it is quite good to have some additional size flexibility. The skirt is again very full. It is slightly rounded, but there is a slight danger of it looking a bit triangular in shape. At least we know it holds a lot of petticoat. The skirt is made of 2 tiers. The area where the tiers join is done neatly and doesn't look at all bumpy. It doesn't make the overall skirt shape look awkward. I wish the lines in the print lined up better, but this is only a slight niggle. Because of the gathering, the print is not displayed as well as the other JSK, but it still looks very pretty. The bottom hem is finished off with the same ribbon lace.



And here is the print close up, showing the 4 colours this series comes in. There are some very interesting colour co-ordinations and I can imagine some are harder to co-ordinate than others. I think my personal favourite would be either the wine/white on the far left or black/lavender on the far right. Considering the simplicity of the print, it is impressive how busy it looks when you see it on the actual dresses. There is actually a fair bit of detail to this print. But despite this, I find it hard to get excited about this print. The bows are drawn nicely and look cute, but it is not my sort of thing. I think it is nice for what it is, but it doesn't really appeal.


I am unsure whether this was intended to be a part of this series, but it did come out at the same time. There were some ribbon themed items released as well. I just wanted to say I really like this accordion ring! It is so quirky and different. I love the little piano keys and the chain. Sadly, I don't think it is the right colour to match anything in my wardrobe, otherwise I would be very tempted!

Overall, I don't think is a series I would probably buy. It's not that I don't like the series, I just wouldn't go out of my way to get hold of it. If I had to pick a dress I would go for the tiered JSK in wine/white, but I actually prefer the skirt over both of the dresses. It is okay for what it is, but I am underwhelmed by it.

1 comment:

  1. This one is so cute! but a little sad it doesn't come in some pastel colors :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...