Monday 2 October 2017

Twilight Gymnasium and the Seven Wonders by Alice and the Pirates

Today I am looking at Twilight Gymnasium by Alice and the Pirates. This series includes 3 dresses, a skirt, a beret and socks.




First is JSK I. The bodice looks well fitted. Although the shape is simple, the bodice looks really smart. It is a sharp design and seems to fit the 'feel' of the print. The straps are a decent width and very supportive. There is a belt, which nips in the waist line perfectly. I do think the buckle used on the belt is a bit basic though. The bodice features 6 buttons placed neatly in lines. Maybe the buttons could have been spaced a bit further apart though? The neckline features folded down flaps which are decorated with a line of ribbon and a ribbon bow in the middle. This is a really smart looking design. I do think the flaps could have been a bit smaller in size, but the shape is lovely. The back offers a panel of shirring, which is topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt has a fair bit of volume and flares outwards a lot. It should be possible to create a lovely, mature A-line shape to fit with the bodice. The skirt is kept very simple, so the print is displayed wonderfully. The bottom hem is left plain, which is a little bit disappointing. At the very least they could have added a thin line of ribbon to finish the dress off nicely. That would have matched the neckline details too.




This is JSK II. The bodice seems a little bit loosely fitted and the shape is far too simple in my opinion. The straps are a good width. I think the use of clips and buckles on the straps is interesting. It certainly livens them up a bit. The waistline has a band defined by 2 lines of braid. This does help to define the waist, but not as much as the proper belt on JSK I. The bodice features a yoke, which is a simple semi-circle shape. It features pleats inside and a row of pleats lining the edge, which give a bit of added texture and depth. There is also a row of buttons and a bow on the yoke. It makes it look more detailed and interesting. The buttons work well, but I am not convinced by the bow. I just feel the bow is a bit too cute looking. The back is fully shirred, so there is a lot of size flexibility but it also means the shirring is left exposed. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full and flares outwards plenty. It should be possible to create a great shape. The skirt is again kept simple, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is finished off with a line of pleats, which I think works brilliantly. This would have been a good way to finish off JSK I without looking too cutesy. It is definitely an improvement on a completely bare bottom hem.




Here we have the OP. The bodice seems quite well fitted but I am unsure about the shape. Something about the shoulder area looks very wide and a bit frumpy looking. I worry it wouldn't be too flattering. Even in the model photos the OP made the shoulder area look quite bulky. I think it the top printed part of the sleeves which throws things off. The arms are a generous length though and I like the smart buttons on the cuffs. Judging by the listing, it looks as though the solid part of the sleeves is not detachable. I like the dress with the full length arms anyway, but it would have been nice to have the option to wear this dress with shorter sleeves too. The bodice features a sailor style collar and a modesty panel going across the chest. This is set out very neatly and I think it looks very smart. I like the sharp lines of braid, which emphasises the lines. The modesty panel is emblazoned with the AatP logo, which mimics a school logo. It is very fitting! There is also a bow finishing off the collar. It is a bit sweet looking, but I think AatP just about gets away with it. The AatP logo charm is a nice touch too. My only complaint is the ribbon used for the bow looks very shiny. The back offers no shirring, so size flexibility is very limited. I think the print lines up well along the zip though, and the collar is a tidy shape at the back. The stock photos show that the skirt has a load of volume and it flares out really well. It should hold plenty of petticoat. The skirt is once again kept simple, so the print is displayed beautifully. Sadly, the bottom hem is kept bare again, which is a bit of a disappointment.




Finally, here is one part of the print...




... and another part. This series comes in bordeaux, navy, green and black. These are very mature colours and are quite typical choices for school uniforms. Therefore all the colours look very suitable for the print. I am curious to know how a lighter colour option would have looked though. As for the print, it is very smartly set out. The building is well drawn and does remind me of a fancy school building. It is a bit too posh looking compared to the schools I went to, but I would have loved to be on a campus like this! I like how the building is covered with leaves as well, adding an extra point of interest. The school children are good as well, but I think they could do with a bit more definition to their features. I like how you can see inside the buildings. It would have been easy for them to just add a bit of sheen to the glass, but showing what is behind the glass adds depth.

So overall this is a nicely set out series. The print is nice enough. I am not sure if this is the sort of series that many would go out of their way to get hold of though. It is lovely, but nothing special. So I would not buy this series personally. If I did, my choice would be JSK I in navy. Out of all the dress designs I think that one is the most interesting and fits the school uniform vibe nicely enough. I think I prefer solid coloured school themed dresses over this print though.

2 comments:

  1. I feel really...unsure about this print. Love the cut of the first JSK but the print itself seems both boring and super creepy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I think for me it is the lack of defined facial features on the children that makes it a bit creepy. I quite like the building, although overall it is quite a simplistic series.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...