Monday 6 March 2017

Wonder Fortune by Angelic Pretty

Today I am looking at Wonder Fortune by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 2 dresses, a head bow, a blouse and socks.




First up is the OP. The bodice seems reasonably well fitted and the shape is lovely. I think the neckline shape is lovely and the bell part of the sleeves flares out well. The way the fabric has been folded on the bell shaped sleeves is beautiful. I like the use of tulle to fill out the bell sleeves as well. The sleeves are then finished off with a bow, which is a cute shape, but I wish it was a lot smaller and more subtle. There is a waist bow, which is a bit on the big side, especially when paired with the large chest bow. The waist bow probably would have looked a fair size if the chest ribbon was a lot smaller. It is well formed though, with a cute shape. It sits well on the dress. The chest bow is a bit floppier, although it is made of tulle so that is understandable. I like how this chest bow and the tulle ruffle on the neckline have been lined neatly with a thin line of gold lace. It works well with the gold accents in the print. If I were to choose between the chest and waist bow, I think I would keep the chest bow. It is a shame that neither bow is detachable. I think a lot depends on whether you decide to wear the matching choker or not. The choker features a large ribbon bow, which in my opinion makes the overall look a bit too bow-heavy. So I would definitely give the choker a miss if I wore this dress. There appears to be a lacy yoke and some small ribbon bows underneath the chest bow. Given that the chest bow doesn't appear to be removable, these details are very obscured. I don't really feel the need for them to be there. It feels like a lot of effort has gone in to something which is not going to be seen. The back of the dress offers no shirring, so size flexibility is severely limited. The stock photos show that the skirt is plump with volume and flares outwards loads. It will hold plenty of petticoat and I can imagine you could create a large OTT shape if desired. The print is displayed really well on the front of the skirt, despite the random ribbon bows dotted down the front of the skirt. I don't feel these shiny ribbon bows are needed, or at least the ones midway down the skirt shouldn't be there. I don't think the bows at the bottom are as bad, but they are still a bit distracting. There is a tulle bustle on the back of the skirt. The tiers have been well spaced out and layered brilliantly. It creates a really frilly appearance which compliments the bottom hem. The bottom hem features crown themed lace layered on top of a tulle ruffle. I think this looks really pretty and is a good match for the bell sleeves.




This is the JSK. The bodice looks well fitted but the overall bodice shape is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. I don't like the neckline shape at all. The straps are an okay width and look fairly supportive. They are topped with tulle and some really pretty lace, which then goes down the bodice in to a triangle design. Both the tulle and the lace sit really well on the dress. The gathering has been done excellently. There is a waist bow, which perfectly hides the area where the lines of tulle and lace meet. I think the overall size and shape of the waist bow looks good, but maybe the tails could have been a bit shorter. The inside of the triangle is neatly pleated and features a good use of gold lace around the edges to help define the bodice details. There is also a line of card suit shaped buttons, which matches the Alice in Wonderland theme. The neckline features 3 ribbon bows, which are again a bit shiny. I am not sure I like how these bows look on the dress, but I don't know what I would suggest as an alternative. The back features a panel of shirring which is topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt has a good amount of volume and flares outwards generously. It is not as full in volume as the OP, but it will still hold its fair share of petticoat. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of gold braid and a line of the crown themed lace. This looks really pretty, although I think a tulle ruffle layered underneath could have looked good considering the use of tulle on the bodice. 




Finally, here are some close ups of the print. This series comes in sax blue, red, dark blue and black. Aside from sax blue, all the colours are quite dark. If I am being honest, I think the colours are a bit uninspiring. Sax blue and red are typical for Alice in Wonderland prints and having another darker blue shade feels a bit unimaginative. As for the print, it feels as though AP have rehashed a load of parts of older prints. Alice in Wonderland is a very overdone theme in lolita anyway, but this print just feels a bit lazy. The castle in the print is almost identical to the one on their Wonder Queen print. There is nothing really new or exciting about the thrones or playing cards either. I do like the rose themed gold gates though.

I think it is fair to say I am not impressed with this series. It lacks originality and I don't feel it has the same charm as the prints it is trying so hard to emulate. It is a shame because I actually think the dress designs look quite good. My top choice would be the JSK in dark blue. I am not surprised to see that this series is still readily available at the time of writing this (the best part of a week after it got released). I am also a bit miffed that AP didn't re-release some of their Wonder Queen accessories with this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...