Monday 22 August 2016

La La La Swing Furry Puppy by Baby the Stars Shine Bright

Today I shall be having a look at La La La Swing Furry Puppy by Baby the Stars Shine Bright (I couldn't help but smile at that name). This series includes 3 dresses (one non-print), a skirt, 3 hair accessories, socks, a blouse, a parka and a cape.




First up is JSK I. The bodice seems well fitted, although the overall shape of the bodice is very square. Maybe a less straight neckline would have been a bit more flattering. The straps seem a suitable width for the style of dress and look supportive enough. They are very neatly lined with lace on both the insides and outsides, which livens them up a bit. This lace is also used along the neckline, which is a good bit of continuity. There is a waist bow, which looks a lovely understated size. I like the shape of the bow too. However, I am really not a fan of the pom poms on this waist bow. I don't think the pom poms have been positioned that well and I also feel that they look a bit out of place. I completely get that Baby were probably thinking the pom poms could be a bit like a fluffy puppy tail (and therefore go well with the print) but I don't think it has been that well executed. The bodice is broken up by some lines of lace, which then meets a circular panel at the chest area. This semi-circle is also topped with lace and lined with tiny pom pom trim. Although the design is quite well set-out, I am not overly fond of the use of the pom pom trim, as the pom poms are very tiny. So unless you are up close, you can't really see that they are mini pom poms. From a distance, I don't think this trim looks that appealing. There is a ribbon bow in the middle of the semi-circle panel, which has a really cute shape to it. I like how well thought-out the shape and design of the bow is, and I especially like the use of matte ribbon. However, I feel that the size of this bow is too big. It is almost as big as the waist bow. So I don't feel the proportions of these 2 bows works together. This ribbon bow is detachable, but I don't think the bodice looks quite right with it detached. I personally would have wanted the waist bow to be the detachable one out of the two bows. The back is fully shirred, which means plenty of size flexibility. It does also mean that the shirring is quite exposed though, so it isn't that attractive to look at. The stock photos show that the skirt has lot of volume and it flares outwards generously. It should hold plenty of petticoat. The skirt is kept very simple in design, with just a thin line of lace near the top of the skirt. I am not really sure what this lace adds to the skirt, but it is well out of the way of the print, so the print is still displayed excellently. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with some reasonably good quality lace.




Here we have JSK II. The bodice seems fairly okay fitting and the shape is simple, but still quite cute. I like that the straps look a suitable width and very supportive. There are lines of lace going along the insides of the straps, which continue all the way down to the waist. I personally am not a fan of the lace chosen. It reminds me a bit too much of granny's doilies. At least this lace looks to be of a fairly good quality though. I am not overly fond of the waist bow shape either. It is the shape of the bow, with the rounded edges, which I don't like. The lace lining this bow only emphasises the shape. It also looks a little bit on the big side. Thankfully, this waist bow is detachable, and I would detach it if it was me. There is then a lacy panel on the chest area, which I don't feel has been gathered and shaped that well. It looks a bit messy in the close-up pictures. Perhaps Baby felt the bow on top would disguise this. Unfortunately, this bow looks very wonky and lop-sided in the stock photos. Here is hoping it is just like this in the stock photos and more effort is put in to shaping this bow evenly on the dresses people buy. I personally feel this bow could have done with being a bit smaller and I feel the shade of the bow chosen for the brown colour way of this dress is a bit too dark. On a more positive note, Baby have at least chosen a non-shiny ribbon to make this bow. The back has a panel of shirring, which has been topped neatly with a ribbon corset. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full and it flares outwards loads. I am liking the full, rounded shape portrayed in the stock photos and think it looks very promising. The skirt is kept simple in design, so the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is then finished off neatly with a line of good quality, but slightly boring looking, lace.




Finally, this is one bit of the print...




... and another bit. Hopefully this gives a good idea of what the print is like. This series comes in ivory, pink, sax blue and brown. I feel this is quite a good mix of colours. I would have maybe preferred black to brown, but I like that the brown at least offers a darker option. As for the print itself, I think the puppies are very cute looking and well drawn. I love the way they are frolicking and playing the instruments in the print. The musical notes are a good way of filling in the empty gaps. There is also a strip in the print featuring musical scores and instruments (not pictured above) which goes well with the musical theme. However, I am unsure about the flowers in this print. I think they are drawn beautifully, but I don't really see how they fit in with the rest of the print. Flowers do not necessarily have to be a classic lolita only theme, but when paired with the overly cutesy looking puppies, the flowers almost look a bit out of place. Innocent World have proven that sweet and classic can work well as a hybrid, but I don't think Baby have quite pulled it off here. It also feels as though there are maybe too many different themes going on in this print as well.

I imagine this series will probably have its fans, but I can't say I am that amazed by it. Then again, I have never really been that interested in puppy prints anyway! I guess it makes a nice change to have a puppy print from time to time, considering how many cat prints there have been. This series is very reminiscent of Baby's sweet designs from around 2010, especially some of the choices with the dress designs. The dress designs are very cute, although there are small things I would change about both designs. I think it is safe to say I wouldn't buy this series, but if I did my top choice would be JSK II in pink (worn with waist bow detached).

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the JSK II is the nicest cut of all the series, though I'm not keen on the print. If it had been something else, I might've considered it purely because of the shape, which I think is lovely and flattering (without that middle bow, that's looking kinda Bodyline-esque to me?), but as it stands I'm happy to let this gather dust on Baby's website :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I have ever really been fond of puppy prints anyway. Yes, Bodyline-esque is how I would describe that bow! I reckon this series is going to be up on their site for a long time! XD

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...