Monday 25 November 2013

Melty Cream Donuts by Angelic Pretty

Today I am taking a loot at Melty Cream Donuts by Angelic Pretty. This series includes 3 dresses, a skirt, 2 hair accessories, socks, a parka, wrist cuffs and several bits of jewellery.


This is the OP. The bodice looks very baggy and sack-like, although it suits the style of the rest of the dress. I think I would personally like a bit more waist definition so it was a bit more figure flattering. It's not an easy shape for everybody to pull off! The sleeves are very cute with a suitable amount of puff to them. The puffiness adds a bit of additional cute to them and matches up well with the style of the rest of the dress. The lace used for the cuffs is of a good quality and donut themed too. The waist bow is maybe slightly big but I don't think it looks too bad and the shape is good too. However, I am a little unsure about the way it sits on the dress. On the other stock photos it doesn't look as bad, but on this brown picture it seems to sit a bit too high. Hopefully this is just a stock photo thing and in reality it will look better. The yoke is heavily decorated with pleats and lace, which is layered very neatly. The lace that makes up the collar is very pretty too. It makes the yoke a lot more interesting and less flat looking. The yoke is also topped with buttons, which are not too fancy but are a good match for the dress and I really like them. In the centre of the collar there is also a small bow, which tops things off nicely. Although I do like the yoke, I think I may have preferred the dress without it and to just have the lace collar. It would have been a lot simpler looking, but still very cute. The back has no shirring, so not the best choice for larger wearers. The stock photos show that the skirt is very full and will hold a decent amount of petticoat. There is the potential to create a nice, slightly rounded shape. The skirt is kept simple and the print is displayed very well. The bottom hem is finished off with more of that awesome custom donut lace.


This is the standard JSK. The bodice looks fairly well fitted, but the bodice shape is a bit dull. The straps are a bit thin, but considering the detail on them, bulky straps probably wouldn't have worked so well. I am not a fan of the bows on the straps. When you look at the dress front-on, the bows look a bit odd. In fact, from this angle you can't even tell they are bows. The straps are also lined with lace on the outside and I think the lace would have been enough detail by itself without the bows on the straps too. 


The waist bow is a pretty good size for the dress. The shape is simple but works well and it appears to sit quite well on the dress. What I really like though, is the little gold fork and spoon charms that are dangling from it! If you were just looking quickly at the dress you would probably not notice them, but I think it is a lovely finishing touch. The charms are very cute!

The bodice is quite plain, with just 2 thin lines of lace running vertically up it. The neckline is simple too, with some good quality, pretty lace which is then topped with a tiny bow. Sometimes there is nothing wrong with a bit of simplicity, but I think the bodice is a bit boring. Although I may not like the strap bows, I suppose the straps do help to liven things up a bit. The back is fully shirred, so it is not concealed by anything and looks a bit messy. As the stock photos show, the wearer can get a very exaggerated, rounded shape for the skirt. It will hold plenty of petticoats and has a lot of flare to it. The skirt is again kept simple and the print is displayed beautifully. The bottom hem is finished off with the same donut lace.


This is the Round JSK (Really? I have a feeling the AP website may have gotten the names around the wrong way). There isn't really a proper bodice to this dress. I worry that the dress is going to look very sack-like on most wearers. It is certainly not your standard lolita shape. The dress is quite simple, but the neckline does draw in a lot of attention, so I wouldn't describe it as boring. The neckline has two ruffles, which are layered well. They give the dress a bit of extra depth and I think it looks very cute. The ruffles are lined with lace, but AP have sensibly gone for thin lace which doesn't add too much bulk. The neckline is finished off with a very tiny bow which isn't that noticeable and is more of a finishing touch. The one thing I would change is I would remove the lace that runs along the sleeves because I don't think it really adds anything to the dress design and just adds bulk to an already busy area. 


I have included a picture of the back because to be honest, I'm not really sure what is going on here. What exactly is going on with the criss-crossed lace? It looks very messy. I appreciate that the lace will probably help to keep the straps on the shoulders (they look like they may slip off without something there) but the way it has been done just doesn't look that appealing. It looks cheap and untidy, and I would have expected better from a brand like AP. I also think that the waist ties are a bit weird. I know pretty much every dress has waist ties anyway, but I don't think they are going to help the dress silhouette by tightening them.

As for the 'skirt' shape, it pretty much looks like a triangle. It reminds me a lot of the Dreamy Horoscope JSK (I remember hating that dress too). I think it is one of those dresses which is only going to look good on certain body shapes. On a more positive note, I guess it will hold a decent amount of a-line petticoat underneath. I am not a fan, but that may be because I know I could never pull it off! The bottom hem is then finished off with the donut lace.




And here we have the print. As we can see it comes in ivory, pink, mint and brown. These are pretty standard colours for a print like this, which features chocolate. It is not surprising that all 4 colours work well with the print. I am personally a fan of the mint and pink. The ivory is a good choice if you wanted a more mature look though. As for the print, the donuts are drawn so well! The decorations on the donuts look tempting and I have to admit, looking at this print is making me crave a donut! The cutlery is cute, although I question why they have been included (does anybody eat donuts with cutlery?). The stripy background with whipped cream hearts works really well with the print. Everything works together and it is a very cute print. It is a very solid offering from AP.

So overall, I think this is a very cute print. I am maybe a bit concerned about the dress designs, as I don't think they fit the usual lolita shape. But the designs are still very cute. Would I buy this series? Maybe. I would go for the standard JSK (the non-sack looking one) in either mint or pink. It is not my usual style, but I still appreciate how cute it is. I predict that this dress will gain a decent sized fan base.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...